2 hours 23 minutesPrint
- 3cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4teaspoon salt
- 1tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 3⁄4teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4teaspoon ground cloves
- 6tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3⁄4cup dark brown sugar
- 1large egg
- 1⁄2cup molasses
- 2teaspoons vanilla
- 1teaspoon finely grated lemon zest (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves until well blended.
- In a large bowl (KitchenAid’s great for this) beat butter, brown sugar, and egg on medium speed until well blended.
- Add molasses, vanilla, and lemon zest and continue to mix until well blended.
- Gradually stir in dry ingredients until blended and smooth.
- Divide dough in half and wrap each half in plastic and let stand at room temperature for at least 2 hours or up to 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 deg. Prepare baking sheets by lining with parchment paper.
- (Dough can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, but in this case it should be refrigerated. Return to room temp before using.) Preheat oven to 375°.
- Grease or line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Place 1 portion of the dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Sprinkle flour over dough and rolling pin.
- Roll dough to a scant 1/4-inch thick.
- Use additional flour to avoid sticking.
- Cut out cookies with desired cutter– the ginger bread man is our favorite of course.
- Space cookies 1 1/2-inches apart.
- Bake 1 sheet at a time for 7-10 minutes (the lower time will give you softer cookies– very good!).
- Remove cookie sheet from oven and allow the cookies to stand until the cookies are firm enough to move to a wire rack.
- After cookies are cool you may decorate them any way you like.
- I usually brush them with a powdered sugar glaze when I am in a hurry, but they look wonderful decorated with Royal icing.
Serving Size: 1 (876 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 134.2
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 15.4 mg
- Sodium 94.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 1.9 g