1 hours 30 minutesPrint
- 2teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2cup water
- 3⁄4cup dark brown sugar
- vegetable oil, for frying (about 1 cup)
- 1lb flank steak
- 1⁄4cup cornstarch
- 2large green onions, sliced on the diagonal into one-inch lengths
- Make the sauce by heating 2 tsp of vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over med/low heat.
- Don’t get the oil too hot.
- Add ginger and garlic to the pan and quickly add the soy sauce and water before the garlic scorches.
- Dissolve the brown sugar in the sauce, then raise the heat to about medium and boil the sauce for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Remove it from the heat.
- Slice the flank steak against the grain into 1/4" thick bite-size slices (Tilt the blade of your knife at about a forty five degree angle to the top of the steak so that you get wider cuts).
- Dip the steak pieces into the cornstarch to apply a very thin dusting to both sides of each piece of beef.
- Let the beef sit for about 10 minutes so that the cornstarch sticks.
- As the beef sits, heat up one cup of oil in a wok (you may also use a skillet for this step as long as the beef will be mostly covered with oil).
- Heat the oil over medium heat until it’s nice and hot, but not smoking.
- Add the beef to the oil and sauté for just two minutes, or until the beef just begins to darken on the edges.
- You don’t need a thorough cooking here since the beef is going to go back on the heat later.
- Stir the meat around a little so that it cooks evenly.
- After a couple minutes, use a large slotted spoon to take the meat out and onto paper towels, then pour the oil out of the wok or skillet.
- Put the pan back over the heat, dump the meat back into it and simmer for one minute.
- Add the sauce, cook for one minute while stirring, then add all the green onions.
- Cook for one more minute, then remove the beef and onions with tongs or a slotted spoon to a serving plate.
- Leave the excess sauce behind in the pan.
Serving Size: 1 (490 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 847.4
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 154.2 mg
- Sodium 4175.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 103.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 81.9 g
- Protein 56.6 g