1 hours 50 minutesPrint
- Cake Batter
- 1cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2cups sugar
- 4large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2cups self rising flour
- 1 1⁄4cups all-purpose flour
- 1cup milk
- 1teaspoon vanilla
- Buttercream Frosting
- 1cup unsalted butter, very soft
- 8cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2cup milk
- 2teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease and lightly flour three 9 inch round cake pans, then line the bottoms with waxed paper.
- In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth.
- Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine the flours and add in four parts, alternating with the milk and the vanilla extract, beating well after each addition.
- Divide batter among the cake pans.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.
- If you’re making cupcakes, line two 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- Spoon the batter into the cups about three-quarters full.
- Bake until the tops spring back when lightly touched, about 20 to 22 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from pans and cool completely on a rack before icing.
- When cake has cooled, ice between the layers, then ice top and sides of cake.
- To make the icing – place the butter in a large mixing bowl.
- Add 4 cups of the sugar and then the milk and vanilla.
- Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, until icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency (you may very well not need all of the sugar).
- If desired, add a few drops of food coloring and mix thoroughly.
- Use and store icing at room temperature, as icing will set if chilled.
- Can store in an airtight container for up to three days.
Serving Size: 1 (171 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 645.4
- Calories from Fat 227
- Total Fat 25.2 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 110.7 mg
- Sodium 182.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 83.8 g
- Protein 4.7 g