24 hours 0 minutesPrint
- 1head green cabbage (8-10 cups)
- 1large carrot, peeled and finely shredded (hand-squeeze out any excess moisture completely)
- 2 -4green onions (or to taste)
- 2teaspoons celery seeds (optional, or to taste)
- 1cup mayonnaise (Hellman's is best, do not use salad dressing)
- 1⁄3cup milk (light cream even better)
- 1⁄3cup buttermilk
- 2 -3tablespoons white vinegar
- 3tablespoons fresh lemon juice (use fresh only not bottled)
- 1⁄3cup white sugar, plus
- 2tablespoons white sugar
- 1⁄2-1teaspoon garlic powder
- 1teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste) or 1 teaspoon white salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- In a food processor chop the cabbage into small pieces (should look like about the size of confetti) or shred the cabbage.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- With a fine shredder, shred the peeled carrots; add to the cabbage in the bowl.
- Chop the green onion finely; add to the cabbage/carrot mixture along with the celery seed.
- Mix the three veggies all together with a wooden spoon.
- To make the dressing: in a medium glass bowl whisk together all the dressing ingredients starting with the lower amounts then adding in and adjusting to suit taste but using 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Pour over the veggies in the bowl, and mix well to combine.
- Store covered in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or overnight (overnight is better) to blend flavors.
- FOR ONE 16-OUNCE PACKAGE COLESLAW MIX use the following amounts; 1/2 cup mayonnaise/ 2-1/2 tablespoons milk/ 2-1/2 tablespoons buttermilk/ 1-1/2 tablespoons vinegar/ 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice/ 3-1/2 tablespoons sugar/ 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder/ 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt, or to taste.
Serving Size: 1 (134 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 207.8
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 9.5 mg
- Sodium 253.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 18.1 g
- Protein 2.7 g