2 hours 4 minutesPrint
- 1cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 1cup sugar
- 1⁄2teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2teaspoon almond extract
- 3 1⁄4cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2teaspoon salt
- 2cups sifted confectioners' sugar (the sugar must be sifted)
- 1tablespoon milk (adding in more if needed for proper spreading consistency)
- 1tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1⁄4teaspoon almond extract (can use 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in place of the almond)
- food coloring (use your choice of colours)
- For cookies; in a large bowl combine butter with sugar, eggs, vanilla and almond extract; beat using an electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy.
- In another bowl combine the flour with baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually stir into the butter mixture until well blended.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.
- Set oven to 400°F.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper (do not grease cookie sheets use parchment paper only).
- On a very lightly floured surface roll out the dough into about 1/4-inch thickness.
- Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters.
- Place cookies 2-inches apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake 4-6 minutes.
- Remove cookies to wire racks to cool completely before icing.
- For the frosting; in a small bowl mix the confectioners sugar with milk (start with 1-2 tablespoons, you will likely need more milk for the perfect spreading consistency).
- Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until the icing is smooth and glossy (if the icing is too thick add in a small amount more of corn syrup).
- Divide into as many separate bowls as you wish for different colours.
- Add in food colouring until desired intensity is achieved.
- Paint the icing over the cookies using a brush, or dip edges of cookies into icing.
- Allow to set on waxed paper.
Serving Size: 1 (30 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 35
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 144.2
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 24.6 mg
- Sodium 107.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 1.6 g