1 hours 20 minutesPrint
- 2lbs Italian sausage, casings removed (mild or hot)
- 1small onion, chopped (optional)
- 3 -4garlic cloves, minced
- 1(28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2(6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2(15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2cups water (for a long period of simmering for flavors to meld. If you don't want to simmer it as long, add less)
- 3teaspoons basil
- 2teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 1⁄2teaspoons brown sugar
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄4cup red wine (a good Cabernet!)
- 1lb thin spaghetti
- parmesan cheese
- In large, heavy stockpot, brown Italian sausage, breaking up as you stir.
- Add onions and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until onions are softened.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce and water.
- Add basil, parsley, brown sugar, salt, crushed red pepper, and black pepper.
- Stir well and barely bring to a boil.
- Stir in red wine.
- Simmer on low, stirring frequently for at least an hour. A longer simmer makes for a better sauce, just be careful not to let it burn!
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Spoon sauce over drained spaghetti noodles and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Serving Size: 1 (285 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 555.9
- Calories from Fat 236
- Total Fat 26.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9 g
- Cholesterol 51.8 mg
- Sodium 2058.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 29.8 g