1 hours 10 minutesPrint
- 1cup carrot, diced
- 1cup celery
- 1cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2teaspoon garlic powder or 1 fresh diced garlic clove
- 1⁄8teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4teaspoon pepper
- 1tablespoon corn oil
- 4(15 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1(15 ounce) can tomatoes, diced (optional)
- 1(10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies, diced
- 1(1 1/4-1 1/2 ounce) packet taco seasoning, I use McCormicks
- 10(8 inch) corn tortillas (cut into small pieces, about 1-inchx1-inch)
- 12ounces chicken meat, poached, diced
- 1cup milk or 1 cup sour cream
- 12ounces monterey jack cheese or 12 ounces Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- corn tortilla chips, broken into small pieces for garnish
- Saute carrots, onions, celery in corn oil, garlic, salt and pepper until tender.
- Add chicken broth and bring to boil.
- Add tomatoes, Rotel, taco seasoning, and chicken.
- Cut Tortillas into small pieces and add to broth mixture.
- Let boil for 20 minutes or until tortillas are thoroughly incorporated into soup stirring occasionally to keep from sticking.
- Reduce heat and add 8 oz. cheese. Simmer for additional 10 minutes.
- Add milk and simmer for additional 10 minutes.
- If thicker soup is desired, add more diced tortillas and let incorporate into soup.
- Garnish with shredded cheese and broken tortilla chips.
- Substitutions: 1 cup Masa Harina (Masa Flour) for 1 10 ct. package of corn tortillas. Gradually add masa flour mixing into broth, mixing thoroughly into broth. If thicker soup is desired, add more masa flour.
- You can also use grilled chicken fajita meat for poached diced chicken.
Serving Size: 1 (533 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 398.4
- Calories from Fat 172
- Total Fat 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 74.2 mg
- Sodium 1565.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 28.8 g