- 2cups all-purpose flour (280 gms)
- 2tablespoons all-purpose flour (20 gms)
- 1⁄2teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled until warm (170 gms)
- 1cup brown sugar (packed, light or dark, 236 gms)
- 1⁄2cup granulated sugar
- 1large egg
- 1large egg yolk, from a large egg
- 2teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2cups chocolate chips (semi-sweet, milk chocolate or any combination, 300 gms)
- 1cup walnuts (114 gms, chopped) (optional)
- A couple of tips from helpful reviewers.
- The dough is meant to be on the dry side so it can be rolled, not dropped.
- If you’re not getting a good flavor, try using a higher quality vanilla and/or chocolate chips. (Penzey’s Madagascar Vanilla, Ghirardelli chips, fresh/real butter).
- Check your oven temperature, cooking time and temperature is critical. If the cookies are not chewy they are probably overcooked.
- Bread flour will make the cookies even more chewy, biscuit flour will make them less chewy.
- Do not let your dough get warm, I like to scoop it on to pans and refrigerate before I pop them in the oven.
- Pan color is very important, if they are too dark you may experience some crisp edges, try using some parchment and lowering the cooking temperature a bit.
- Place oven racks in the upper and lower 1/3’s of the oven.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Cover 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper Mix flour, baking powder & salt in a bowl or bag and set aside.
- Mix butter and sugars with with a mixer until blended and smooth, add egg, yolk & vanilla.
- Mix until incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Stir in chips and optional nuts.
- Divide into 18 equal balls, a 2" cookie scoop works just about perfectly, about 60 gms each.
- EVENLY space 9 on each cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12-18 minutes, rotating front to back and top to bottom after 8 minutes.
- Cool on sheets to maintain chewy texture.
Serving Size: 1 (66 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 265
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 40.9 mg
- Sodium 85.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 25.1 g
- Protein 2.7 g