1 hours 40 minutesPrint
- 1large cauliflower
- 300ml milk
- 220g Mature cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 3tablespoons plain flour
- 50g butter
- 25g fresh breadcrumbs (optional)
- 1⁄2teaspoon dried English mustard (Colman's)
- salt and black pepper
- *If oven baking, pre-heat oven to 225C or 450°F.
- Trim the cauliflower & break into small florets.
- Boil in salted water for 10-15 minutes or until just tender.
- Drain in a colander and then place in a buttered ovenproof baking dish.
- Add the milk, flour and butter to a saucepan.
- Heat and whisking with a wire whisk continuously until the sauce thickens, boils and is smooth.
- Allow to simmer for a further 2 minutes.
- Add three-quarters of the grated cheese, mustard, a pinch of nutmeg and seasoning.
- Cook for further minute stirring well.
- Pour the sauce over the cauliflower.
- Mix the remaining cheese, and breadcrumbs, if using, together, sprinkle over the top.
- Place under a hot grill until golden brown, OR, bake in a pre-heated oven 225C/450F for about 15 to 25 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve immediately.
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 210.2
- Calories from Fat 121
- Total Fat 13.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 37 mg
- Sodium 187.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 4 g
- Protein 7.2 g