- 4ounces lean thinly sliced deli corned beef
- 2(1 ounce) slices swiss cheese
- 2slices rye bread
- 1⁄3cup sauerkraut, well drained
- 1 1⁄2-2tablespoons thousand island dressing (to taste)
- 2tablespoons butter, softened
- 1pinch crushed juniper berries or 1 pinch caraway seed (optional)
- Bring corned beef and swiss cheese to room temperature.
- Heat sauerkraut until it is warmed to about 120-140 degrees.
- Prepare sandwich by first buttering one slice of bread on one side with 1 tbsp butter.
- Place bread, butter side down, in a small skillet.
- Follow with the following ingredients in this order: 1 slice of swiss cheese, followed by 4 oz.
- corned beef, followed by 1 1/2-2 tbsp (to taste) of Thousand Island dressing, followed by well drained and warmed sauerkraut,, followed by a pinch of either juniper berries or caraway, followed by the final piece of cheese.
- Top the sandwich with the last piece of bread and spread the other tbsp of butter on the outside of the bread.
- Heat the sandwich in the skillet on a med-low heat until the bottom side becomes golden; flip sandwich with spatula and lightly brown other side.
- Remove to plate and slice in half before serving.
- Serve with a dill spear and your favorite chips.
Serving Size: 1 (333 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 966.8
- Calories from Fat 638
- Total Fat 70.9 g
- Saturated Fat 33.5 g
- Cholesterol 230.6 mg
- Sodium 2539.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 42.3 g