1 hours 35 minutesPrint
- 2medium onions, chopped
- 1tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 1⁄2teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1bay leaf
- 1⁄2inch cinnamon stick
- 2medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4-1⁄2teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2(15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2-1teaspoon garam masala
- 1tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- In large saucepan over medium heat, heat cumin seeds, bay leaf and cinnamon until very fragrant, swirling around to prevent burning.
- Add ginger and garlic, cooking until the smell of those fills the air, then add onions.
- Saute onions, stirring frequently, and adding drops of water to prevent sticking, until they are translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, coriander, turmeric, salt, and cayenne.
- Check for seasoning, adding more as you prefer.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add garbanzo beans (chickpeas), cover, and reduce heat.
- Simmer on low for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in garam masala and lemon juice just before serving.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of chopped cilantro if you desire.
- Serve with rice, or Indian breads or pitas (breads are best warmed on a hot griddle).
Serving Size: 1 (342 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 300
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 643.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.5 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 12.2 g