7 hours 15 minutesPrint
- 1medium sweet baguette or 1 medium sourdough baguette
- 3large eggs
- 3⁄4cup sweetened condensed milk
- 6tablespoons whole milk
- 1⁄2teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2cup granulated sugar
- 1tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 -4cups vegetable oil (for frying, estimated)
- Cut bread into 1-inch thick slices on the bias. You should get about 16 pieces. If you have more, adjust other ingredients to compensate.
- Whisk together the eggs, condensed milk, whole milk, vanilla extract, and salt until well mixed.
- Coat bread slices on both sides in the egg mixture, and place coated bread in a shallow pan or pie plate, add any remaining egg mixture to it. Cover with press and seal wrap or foil and place in the refrigerator to soften overnight.
- Mix together sugar, cocoa and cinnamon in a small shallow bowl big enough to hold one slice bread.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet to about 2-inches until it reaches 330F (use a candy thermometer to check).
- Lift the bread from the egg mixture until it stops dripping, and pan fry the pieces in the skillet on both sides until golden and crispy. Keep the oil hot while frying (check temp), raising the heat if needed.
- As the pieces are removed from the skillet, drain on paper towels then dredge in the spicy sugar mixture.
Serving Size: 1 (216 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1844.8
- Calories from Fat 1559
- Total Fat 173.3 g
- Saturated Fat 26.1 g
- Cholesterol 161.3 mg
- Sodium 436.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 57.9 g
- Protein 12.1 g