- 1⁄2cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4teaspoon garlic granules
- 2cups half-and-half
- 2cups milk
- 2(10 ounce) packages sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided (I use Cracker Barrel)
- 1(10 ounce) package extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I use Cracker Barrel)
- 1(16 ounce) package elbow macaroni, cooked
- In a big skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Whisk the flour in gradually until the mixture is smooth.
- Cook and whisk continually for 2 minutes.
- Add in salt, pepper, cayenne, and garlic; stir to combine.
- Gradually whisk in half-and-half and milk.
- Cook and whisk continually for 8-10 minutes or until mixture is thickened.
- Add in half of the sharp cheddar cheese; stir.
- Add in all of the extra-sharp cheddar cheese; stir until smooth.
- Take skillet off stove burner.
- Mix together the cooked macaroni and cheese mixture; transfer to a greased 13×9 inch casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining sharp cheddar cheese.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 20 minutes (may need to bake longer for a crispy top).
Serving Size: 1 (311 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 902.1
- Calories from Fat 513
- Total Fat 57 g
- Saturated Fat 35.6 g
- Cholesterol 173.2 mg
- Sodium 966.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 39.1 g