2 hours 30 minutesPrint
- 2cups sushi rice
- 2cups water
- 4tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3tablespoons sugar
- 2teaspoons salt
- 2tablespoons mirin
- kelp, leaf (optional)
- Ignore the directions on the bag that the rice came from and rinse the rice only 3-5 times. The water does NOT have to run clear.
- Place rice to drain in a strainer.
- Drain for one hourin the winter, 30 min in the summer. (Sounds strange, but is true).
- While rice is draining, combine vinegar,sugar, salt and mirin together in a bowl and mix well.
- If using a kelp leaf,it should be about 2 in long
- Wipe it lightly, cut small slits to make it look like a comb and add it to a pot along with the water.
- Add rice to the pot.
- Bring quickly to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and DON’T touch it until the end, NO PEEKING.
- Cook for 15 minutes before removing the pot from the heat but keep the lid CLOSED.
- Let rice rest for 10 min and then remove the cover.
- Place in a glass dish to cool and lightly fan the rice while adding the vinegar mixture.
- Mix rice gently, careful not to break it.
- Sushi rice is best used at body temperature.
Serving Size: 1 (947 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 382.5
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 1218.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 6.3 g