- 2 1⁄2cups zucchini, sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick (about 2 medium)
- 1⁄2lb lean ground beef (I use 1 lb.)
- 1⁄4cup onion, chopped
- 2small tomatoes, cut up
- 1(6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4cup water
- 1⁄8teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4cup low fat cottage cheese (or low fat or fat free ricotta)
- 1⁄2cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (I use 8 oz. divided)
- 1teaspoon flour
- Cook zucchini until tender, drain and set aside. Fry meat and onions until meat is brown and onions are tender; drain fat. Add next 8 ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered 10 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups.
- In small bowl slightly beat egg.
- Add cottage cheese, half of shredded cheese and flour.
- In (1 1/2-qt.) baking-roasting pan arrange half of the meat mixture. Top with half of the zucchini and all the cottage cheese mixture. Top with remaining meat and zucchini.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Serving Size: 1 (317 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 261.1
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 98.7 mg
- Sodium 631 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 24.5 g