3 hours 15 minutesPrint
- 2(28 ounce) canscrushed tomatoes
- 1(28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1(6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2teaspoon black pepper
- 1teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1teaspoon garlic powder
- 1tablespoon parsley
- 1⁄2cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- 2onions, chopped
- 2cloves garlic, chopped
- Italian sausage or home-made meatballs
- 1 -2spareribs (optional)
- leftover cooked chicken thighs or chicken leg (optional)
- pepperoni (optional)
- Combine tomato products in large stock pot or dutch oven.
- Add a 28 ounce can of water and stir.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Sprinkle with sugar, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, parsley and grated cheese and stir to combine.
- In a frying pan, heat about 1/4" of vegetable oil and fry up your sausage or meatballs until cooked through.
- Add the meat to the simmering sauce, along with any optional meats (recommended) mentioned in ingredients.
- Now, this is an important, not to be left out, step: Add chopped onions and garlic to pan that meat was fried in.
- Do not drain anything before adding onions and garlic– there should be some drippings/oil left in the pan!
- Fry onions and garlic until tender and aromatic.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Another important step, not to be left out: Add about 1/2 cup water to the pan and swish around, combining the leftover drippings and onion and garlic.
- Pour and scrape it all into the simmering sauce.
- Stir to combine.
- Let simmer for 3 hours or until desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- I keep mine only half way covered, so it cooks down and gets thick and rich.
- Remove pepperoni, chicken and ribs if used.
- Remove meat from bones of chicken and ribs and add back to sauce in small shreds.
- Discard pepperoni, eat it, or chop it up and add it back to sauce.
- Serve over your favorite pasta and enjoy.
Serving Size: 1 (3050 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1106
- Calories from Fat 182
- Total Fat 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 44 mg
- Sodium 5923.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 206.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 45.9 g
- Sugars 123.8 g
- Protein 57.4 g