1 hours 40 minutesPrint
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1teaspoon black pepper
- 1lb ground beef or 1 lb lamb
- 1large onion, finely diced
- 3 -4large carrots, finely diced
- 1cup frozen peas
- 3 -4sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2tablespoons flour
- 1tablespoon butter
- 1glass red wine
- 2tablespoons tomato paste
- 2tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1cup chicken stock
- 1large quantity mashed potatoes (estimating 1L or 6 cups, fresh or leftover)
- 1egg, beaten
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 200C/400°F.
- Saute carrots in the olive oil until starting to get tender.
- Add in the onions and saute for a minute or two then add the meat.
- Season with black pepper and thyme.
- Cook until browned then drain fat.
- Add the butter and peas.
- Sprinkle with flour and stir through.
- Add tomato paste, wine and Worcestershire sauce.
- Let this reduce slightly then add the chicken stock. Allow to reduce down until you have a thick meaty gravy. Season to your taste.
- Remove from heat. Grease an oven proof dish** (9×13 works for me, as does an oval baker) with butter and add the sauce.
- Spoon or pipe the mashed potatoes over top. Brush with egg and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if using.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the potato is nice and browned on top.
- Serve as is or with some crusty bread to mop up that yummy sauce!
Serving Size: 1 (251 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 461.6
- Calories from Fat 230
- Total Fat 25.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 133 mg
- Sodium 427.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 27.7 g