5 hours 35 minutesPrint
- 1 3⁄4lbs onions, spiced or unspiced
- 2 1⁄2lbs carrots
- 6lbs corned beef brisket
- 1cup malt vinegar
- 6ounces stout beer (such as Guinness)
- 1tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1tablespoon coriander seed
- 1⁄2tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1⁄2tablespoon dill seed
- 1⁄2tablespoon whole allspice
- 2bay leaves
- 3lbs cabbage, rinsed
- 2 1⁄2lbs small red potatoes
- 1⁄2cup coarse grain mustard
- 1⁄2cup Dijon mustard
- Use a 14 to 20 qt. pan.
- Coarsely chop enough onions and carrots to make 1 cup each.
- In pan, place onions and carrots, corned beef with any liquid from meat, vinegar, stout, mustard seed, coriander, peppercorns, dill, allspice, and bay leaves.
- Add water to barely cover beef.
- Cover pan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Simmer till meat is tender when pierced, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, cut remaining onions into wedges.
- Cut remaining carrots into 2 inch lengths, halve them lengthwise if large.
- Cut cabbage in half through cores, then into wedges.
- Scrub potatoes.
- Add onions, carrots and potatoes to tender corned beef, place cabbage on top.
- Cover and return to simmering over high heat; reduce heat and simmer till cabbage is tender when pierced, 15 to 20 minutes.
- With slotted spoon, scoop out vegetables onto warm serving dishes.
- Using tongs and a slotted spoon, remove beef to a cutting board.
- Cut off fat.
- Slice meat across grain, place on warm platters.
- Serve meat and vegetables with mustards.
Serving Size: 1 (631 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 756.6
- Calories from Fat 398
- Total Fat 44.3 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 222.1 mg
- Sodium 2783.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 47 g