4 hours 50 minutesPrint
- 4lbs flat cut corned beef brisket
- 1(12 ounce) bottle Guinness draught (make sure you use Guinness draught, not stout as it will turn it bitter!)
- 1medium yellow onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 3garlic cloves, minced
- 1bay leaf
- 1⁄4teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8-1⁄4teaspoon ground cloves (to taste)
- 1⁄4teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1head cabbage, cut into wedges, rinsed and drained
- 6medium white potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 -2lb carrot, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces
- Rinse corned beef under cold water, and pat dry.
- In a Dutch oven, or other large pot with a cover, brown corned beef well on all sides over high heat.
- Pour Guinness over the meat, and add enough water to just cover the brisket.
- Add the onion, garlic, bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and pepper to the pot.
- Bring pot to a boil and skim off any foam.
- Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover pot and simmer for 3 hours.
- Add carrots, then potatoes and then the cabbage wedges to the pot.
- Cover pot, and continue cooking until meat and vegetables are tender (about 20-30 minutes).
- Remove meat and vegetables to warm serving platter/dishes, leaving the cooking liquid/sauce in the pot.
- Over high heat, bring the cooking liquid to a boil, and cook until the amount of liquid is reduced by half (about 10 minutes).
- Slice the corned beef; serve with the vegetables and the sauce on the side.
- Note: Corned beef should always be sliced across the grain.
Serving Size: 1 (411 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 717.2
- Calories from Fat 390
- Total Fat 43.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 222.1 mg
- Sodium 2875.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 45.3 g