3 hours 3 minutesPrint
- 3 1⁄2cups bread flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1packet dry active yeast
- 1teaspoon sugar
- 1teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄3cups water
- Sift flour and salt together in a large bowl.
- Combine yeast, sugar and 1/3 cup very warm water-give a quick stir and set aside for 5 minutes to activate yeast.
- Make a well in the flour/salt mixture and add the yeast, 1 cup warm water and the olive oil.
- Gently stir to gather dough into a ball-you may need a touch more water-depending on where you live, altitude.
- Turn out and knead for 10 minutes.
- Put into a LIGHTLY greased large bowl, cover and place in a warm spot for around 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Punch down and knead to smooth.
- Cut dough into 12 pieces, form into rounds, roll out and place on a dusted baking sheet, cover and let rest for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 500F degrees.
- I use my large cast iron skillet for this part, so I place it in the oven and when really hot I place in two pitas and let bake for around 3 minutes-you can broil for 1 minute if you like, just to get the tops browned.
- I wrap the cooked pitas in a slightly damp tea towel for a minute or two-then cool and place in plastic bags.
- This process can also be done on a cooking sheet.
Serving Size: 1 (774 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 139.3
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 195.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 4 g