- 1 -2teaspoon olive oil
- 1cup chopped onion (scallion work well too)
- 1tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 -3teaspoons curry powder (for this recipe, I like a milder curry powder that has a bit of fennel seed)
- 1(14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1(15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1(15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄3cup chopped fresh cilantro or 1⁄3 cup parsley
- 1tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and ginger and saute about 3 minutes, or until tender.
- Add curry powder and stir to coat onions evenly.
- Add tomatoes with their juices and cook 1-2 minutes or until mixture seems slightly thickened, stirring well.
- Add black beans, chickpeas and salt to taste.
- Stir to coat beans evenly.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes or until chickpeas are heated through.
- Turn off heat, and stir in fresh cilantro (or parsley), and lemon juice.
- Serve warm.
- This dish goes nicely over some jasmine or basmati rice.
Serving Size: 1 (334 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 281
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 326.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.8 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 13.7 g