2 hours 0 minutesPrint
- Meat sauce
- enough olive oil, to just coat the bottom of a large pot
- 2large onions, finely chopped
- 3garlic cloves, minced
- 2lbs lean ground meat (I often use a combo of beef and pork, lamb would be good too, but go heavier on the beef)
- 2(16 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice (concasse)
- 1⁄3cup chopped pitted kalamata olive (optional)
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2teaspoon pepper
- 1teaspoon dried oregano
- 1bay leaf
- 1⁄2cup red wine
- 1cinnamon stick, broken in two
- 1lb penne or 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 3tablespoons melted butter
- 2cups whole milk
- 2eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2cup grated kefalotiri or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese or 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- Bechamel Sauce
- 6tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3cup flour
- 4cups milk
- 1⁄2teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2lb grated kefalotiri or 1⁄2 lb romano cheese or 1⁄2 lb parmesan cheese, divided
- For the meat sauce, put some olive oil in a large pot; saute onion until lightly browned; add garlic; add meat and cook until brown, crumbling with a fork; add remaining meat sauce ingredients to skillet; mix well; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until quite thick; let mixture cool; remove and discard cinnamon stick and bay leaf.
- Prepare pasta by boiling until al dente in plenty of boiling, salted water; drain and place pasta in a large bowl; add butter, milk, eggs and 1/2 cup cheese; gently stir to coat; set aside.
- To prepare bechamel sauce, melt butter over medium heat in a saucepan; stir in flour until smooth, cook, whisking for 2 minutes; gradually add milk, stirring, until thickened; lower heat; add salt, pepper and nutmeg; remove from heat.
- In medium-sized bowl, beat 3 eggs; slowly add hot cream sauce to eggs; stir thoroughly so eggs don’t curdle.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and butter or oil (with olive oil) a large baking pan (my pan is about 18" x 10").
- Empty 1/2 of the penne mixture over bottom of pan; cover evenly with all of meat sauce; sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese over meat sauce; add remaining penne mixture, spreading evenly; sprinkle another 1/3 of the cheese over top; pour bechamel sauce evenly over entire casserole; top with remaining cheese.
- Bake until bechamel sauce sets and has golden-brown patches across top, approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour; cool at least 20 minutes before cutting into pieces for serving.
- Freezer Notes: Once the baked pastitsio has completely cooked, cut serving-size pieces, double-wrap in foil and freeze. Defrost in the usual manner and reheat in microwave (or oven) for a delicious, quick meal, when there’s little time to cook and dinner is ready and waiting in the freezer!
Serving Size: 1 (310 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 436.6
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 139 mg
- Sodium 677.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 12.9 g