- FOR THE MEAT
- 4cube steaks
- 3 -4tablespoons cracked black pepper (Please use McCormick's Cracked Black Pepper or equivalent, regular black pepper is NOT workable here)
- 1tablespoon kosher salt
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1tablespoon soft butter
- FOR THE CREAM SAUCE
- 8ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced (the Italian brown ones, or use small portabellas)
- 1shallot, peeled and minced
- 2garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1tablespoon basil, chopped (fresh only or it won't taste the same)
- 1cup heavy cream
- 2tablespoons soft unsalted butter
- Season both sides of the cube steaks with kosher salt and cracked black pepper.
- Heat the oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet over med-high heat.
- Sauté the steaks for 4 minutes, then turn and finish cooking for 3 more minutes or until done to your liking. Move steaks to a plate and cover with foil.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the skillet over med-high heat and loosen any stuck bits of meat with a spatula.
- When hot, add the shallots and mushrooms with a loose attempt to keep them in a single layer as much as possible. Don?t stir for the first 2 minutes to give them a chance to caramelize on one side, then stir periodically for another minute or two until mushrooms are deep golden brown.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté until it becomes soft, about one minute.
- Add the cream and the steak juice from the cube steak plate and reduce the mixture by one-third. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Finally, add the basil, stir briefly, then plate the steaks with a generous portion of sauce on top.
Serving Size: 1 (147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 342.9
- Calories from Fat 308
- Total Fat 34.3 g
- Saturated Fat 19.7 g
- Cholesterol 104.4 mg
- Sodium 1798.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 3.5 g