1 hours 40 minutesPrint
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 4large russet potatoes
- 2cups flour
- 1tablespoon baking powder
- 1teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1⁄2teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1large egg, lightly beaten
- 1(12 ounce) can soda water
- 1⁄2cup rice flour, for dredging
- 2(8 ounce) cod fish fillets or 2 (8 ounce) haddock fillets, cut in 1/2 on an angle
- malt vinegar, for serving
- TARTAR SAUCE
- 1cup mayonnaise
- 1tablespoon capers, chopped
- 1tablespoon cornichon, chopped
- 2tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1⁄2lemon, juiced
- 1dash hot sauce
- Heat 3 inches of the oil in a deep fryer. Or you can heat 3 inches of oil in a deep pot. Peel the potatoes and cut them into chips, about the size of your index finger.
- Put the potatoes in the oil. Fry the chips for 2 to 3 minutes; they should not be crisp or fully cooked at this point. Remove the chips with a spider strainer or slotted spoon, to a paper towel-lined platter to drain.
- Put the chips back in the fryer for 4 to 5 minutes until crispy and brown. Take out and drain.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and egg. Pour in the soda water and whisk to a smooth batter.
- Spread the rice flour on a plate. Dredge the fish pieces in the rice flour and then dip them into the batter, letting the excess drip off.
- Now submerge the battered fish into the bubbling oil for 4 to 5 minutes until crispy and brown.
- Remove and drain the fish with the chips on paper towels; season lightly with salt. Serve wrapped in a newspaper cone with malt vinegar and/or tartar sauce.
- Tartar Sauce (about 1-1/4 cups): In a small mixing bowl, combine all tartar sauce ingredients. Chill before serving to let the flavors combine.
Serving Size: 1 (682 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1240.8
- Calories from Fat 274
- Total Fat 30.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 147.9 mg
- Sodium 1982.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 192.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.3 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 50.4 g