- corn or peanut oil
- 1lb cod or 1 lb other lean fish fillet
- 2⁄3cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2teaspoon baking soda
- 1tablespoon vinegar
- 2⁄3cup water
- Cut potatoes lengthwise into ½-inch strips.
- Heat oil (2 to 3 inches or enough to cover) in deep fryer or Dutch oven to 375 degrees.
- Fill basket one-fourth full with potatoes. (I don’t have a basket – I use a Fry Daddy and it works fine. Just be sure and put the chips in one at a time so they don’t stick to each other.) Skip the next step if you’re not using a basket.
- Slowly lower basket into hot oil. (If oil bubbles excessively, raise and lower basket several times.) Use a long-handled fork to keep potatoes separated.
- Fry potatoes 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown; drain on paper towels.
- Place potatoes in single layer on cookie sheet and keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining potatoes.
- Cut fish filets into 2 x 1/-1/2-inch pieces. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Mix flour and salt.
- Mix baking soda and vinegar.
- Stir vinegar mixture and water into flour mixture; beat until smooth.
- Dip fish into batter, allowing excess batter to drip into bowl.
- Fry 4 or 5 fish pieces at a time (do not use basket) about 3 minutes, turning fish once, until brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Set oven control to broil. Broil potatoes 6 inches from heat 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp.
Serving Size: 1 (391 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 333.5
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 48.7 mg
- Sodium 523.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 26.6 g