1 hours 30 minutesPrint
- 1tablespoon oil (I used sunflower oil)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4cup chopped onion (1-2 onions)
- 1garlic clove, chopped
- 1tablespoon curry paste (levelled tbsp, preferably Madras, Korma or another Indian or Caribbean curry paste you like)
- 1tablespoon grated fresh ginger (levelled tbsp)
- 4cups peeled and cubed sweet potatoes (not yams)
- 1red bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 3 1⁄2cups chicken stock or 3 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 2tablespoons rum (optional but recommended, I use white rum)
- recommended topping
- 4 -6tablespoons sour cream (any fat content)
- sweet paprika
- In a soup pot, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add curry paste and onions and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat if necessary. Add garlic clove and ginger and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes and pepper. Mix. Add stock. Cook for 15 minutes or until vegetables are very soft.
- Puree the ingredients in batches in a blender or puree the whole amount directly in the pot with a hand blender (if pot is high enough).
- Check if you like the consistency of the soup. Add more stock or water if desired and adjust the seasonings (check if salt is needed). You can add more curry paste if desired, but most pastes need to be cooked first before adding to a dish. Add rum if using.
- Serve in individual bowls and top each with a tablespoon of sour cream and a sprinkle of sweet paprika.
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 283.8
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 12.5 mg
- Sodium 386.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 11.5 g
- Protein 8.4 g