4 hours 0 minutesPrint
- 8cups water
- 1large ham bone
- 2cups dried split green peas
- 2large carrots, peeled and diced small
- 2medium onions, chopped small
- 2large celery ribs, include leaves, chop small
- 1large bay leaf
- 2beef bouillon cubes
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed
- 1pinch dried thyme
- Rinse peas well in cold water and add to a large cooking pot.
- Measure 8 cups of water and add to cooking pot.
- Bring to boil, remove from heat, cover and let sit for 1 hour.
- Return to stove and bring back to boil.
- Add ham bone, carrots, onions, celery, bay leaf, beef bouillon, salt, peppercorns and dried thyme.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove ham bone and cut off any remaining ham, cut into bite size pieces and return to soup.
- Discard ham bone.
- If there are big pieces of ham in the soup, remove, cut into bite size pieces and return to soup.
- Remove bay leaf and discard.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- If you desire a smooth soup, then puree’ in batches in a food processor or blender.
- Or eat the soup without puree’ing.
- If soup is too thick, add more water to your desired consistency.
- Beef broth or chicken broth may be added, just reduce the water by the amounts used.
- Smoked ham hocks are excellent to use instead of a ham bone.
- If there is not enough ham on the ham bone, then add additional ham of your choice.
- You may also use about 1/4 teaspoon of Liquid Hickory Smoke, to get a smokey flavor.
- You may also use whole peas, but it will take a bit longer to cook these peas so that they are tender.
Serving Size: 1 (200 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 128.5
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.1 mg
- Sodium 390.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 8.6 g