- 2cups all-purpose flour
- 4teaspoons baking powder
- 2tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, cold
- 3⁄4cup milk, cold
- Preheat oven to 425 F Mix first 4 ingredients together in a bowl.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender or a fork, or two knives, until crumbly.
- Add milk.
- Stir until it forms a ball.
- Add a bit more milk if necessary to make a soft dough.
- Roll or pat to 1 inch thick. (I usually pat the dough).
- Cut into circles with a biscuit cutter or a floured glass.
- Arrange on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake in 425 F for about 10- 12 minutes or until risen and nicely browned. (in my oven it usually takes 15 minutes).
- This is supposed to make 12, but I almost always only get 11 biscuits, with the size of the glass that I use.
- Variations: Try adding some fresh or dried herbs. Some good pairings are basil and oregano, or parsley and fresh ground black pepper, or thyme and garlic, or add some grated sharp or old cheddar cheese.
Serving Size: 1 (46 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 139.7
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 15.7 mg
- Sodium 367.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 2.7 g