1 hours 50 minutesPrint
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1large white onion, chopped
- 2garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2lbs lean ground beef
- 3tablespoons paprika
- 2tablespoons ground cumin
- 1teaspoon kosher salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2teaspoon ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 3⁄4cup spanish green olives, with pimientos, chopped
- 3hard-cooked egg white, chopped
- vegetable oil, for baking (or frying)
- all-purpose flour, for rolling
- manchego cheese, 25-30 cubes cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook about 6 minutes, until translucent. Crumble in the beef and add the paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook until the beef is browned about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Drain off the excess grease. Stir in the vinegar. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate for about 1 hour, until chilled. Stir in the olives and hard boiled egg whites.
- If baking the empanadas, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. and coat 2 baking sheets with vegetable oil.
- When working with the empanada disks, always keep all but the disk you’re working with covered with a damp towel (not too wet). If the disks are very firm, place them 1 at a time on a lightly floured surface and use a rolling pin to roll them to 1/2 to 1 inch larger than they are – to make them a little more pliable.
- To fill: lay an empanada disk on the work surface. Place about 1 1/2 Tablespoons of the meat mixture in the center of the dough disk. Tuck a cube of cheese into the center of the filling. Use your finger to wet the edges of the disk with water and fold over to seal. Gently press the tines of a fork along the edge to crimp. Lay the empanada on a baking sheet and cover with a damp towel. Repeat with the remaining filling and dough disks.
- Brush the tops of the empanadas with vegetable oil and bake until golden brown, about 15 to 18 minutes. Serve hot!
- If frying the empanadas, fill a skillet 3/4 inch deep with vegetable oil and heat to 360 degrees F, over medium heat. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with paper towels. Fry the empanadas in the oil until golden brown and crisp – about 4 to 6 minutes, turning once. Remove with tongs, letting the excess oil drip off back into the pan. Transfer to a paper towel lined baking sheet and kepp warm in the oven while you fry the remaining empanadas. Serve hot.
Serving Size: 1 (1257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 72.5
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 17.7 mg
- Sodium 158.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 6.2 g